The members of the North Myrtle Beach Lions had much to celebrate at their annual charter night held recently at the Tidewater. Amenities Center.
In addition to installing officers, the group observed the celebration of 70 years of service to our local, state, national and international communities.
Originally called the Ocean Drive Beach Lions Club, it received its charter on April 19, 1949, making it the oldest service organization in North Myrtle Beach. The club is 19 years older than the city itself. During its early decades the members made important contributions to the city including procuring the town’s first ambulance and providing the tennis courts at McLean Park.
Today its members follow the request of Helen Keller to aid persons who are blind or visually impaired by providing glasses, vision screenings and other assistance to qualified individuals.
Their other service projects include scholarships, beach clean-up, supporting Helping Hands, sponsoring. Peace Poster Contest, Diabetes. awareness and Children’s’ Little Free Library at McLean Park to name a few.