The congregation of St. Stephens Episcopal Church of North Myrtle Beach celebrated their 50th anniversary with a banquet held at Our Lady Star of the Sea Catholic Church on Dec. 20, 2019. State Senator Greg Hembree, Hank Thomas, North Myrtle Beach City Council Member, Jim Mezick, Retired Pastor of Lakeside Baptist Church, and several other dignitaries offered congratulatory remarks.
On Aug. 31, 1969, the Episcopal Church started a summer chapel in what is now North Myrtle Beach. By 1985, that chapel had grown to the point of becoming a full-fl edged parish in The Episcopal Diocese of South Carolina, which is now St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church.
St. Stephen’s is fully involved in the life of Horry County in assisting and supporting organizations such as Helping Hands of North Myrtle Beach, Mobile Meals of the North Strand, North Strand Housing Shelter, Teen Angels of North Myrtle Beach High School, Kids Hope USA of Loris Elementary School, A Father’s Place in Conway, and the Veterans Welcome Home and Resource Center, just to name a few.
For many years, St. Stephen’s has been known for its bi-annual Rummage Sale held in May and October. St. Stephen’s Rummage Ministry is now in partnership with other organizations to provide household goods, clothing, etc., for individuals who have experienced loss.
St. Stephen’s continues to be a very visible presence in this community and beyond as they seek to serve God by serving humanity.
For more information contact: the Rev. Canon Dr. Wilmot T. Merchant, Rector, at 843-249-1169, email: firstname.lastname@example.org, or visit their Facebook page, StStephensEpiscopalChurchInNorthMyrtleBeachSc.
St. Stephen’s Episcopal Church on 11th Avenue North in North Myrtle Beach celebrated their 50th anniversary with a banquet in December.